Grapevine 10/18/19

Michel Rathwell

A pumpkin is a gourd-like squash and is native to North America. They typically have a thick, orange or yellow shell, creased from the stem to the bottom, containing the seeds and pulp. Pumpkins are widely grown for commercial use, and are used both in food and recreation. Pumpkin pie, for instance, is a traditional part of Thanksgiving meals in the United States, and pumpkins are frequently carved as decorations around Halloween. A pumpkin that has a little face carved in it and hollowed out and decorated with candles inside is known as a jack o’lantern; these are often used at Hallowe’en, for example, to decorate windows.

· The Haunted House opens tomorrow at 4pm for those who don’t want a big scare, and at 6pm for those who do. Beware… Bubbles the Clown is on the loose and coming to our campus. Let his tale terrify you THIS Saturday & Sunday, for $5, in Drama room 403.

· All girls interested in playing softball this spring, there is a meeting TODAY in room 842 at the beginning of lunch. This includes all fall and winter sport athletes.

· The Day of the Dead Rally will be October 30th. Face painting will be offered 1st-4th period in the Sword and Shield for students and staff. Students need to sign up in room 323 and pick a pre-arranged absence form. They only need to request permission from one period. The cost is $2, which they will pay on the day of the face painting.

· Don’t forget to donate any spare change to one of the many donation boxes available on campus to help support breast cancer research. At the end of the month, donations will be going to the Susan G. Komen foundation whose mission is to end breast cancer forever.

· Do you have a 3.5 GPA or above? Are you interested in becoming a doctor, scientist or technologist? There is a great opportunity to be nominated this coming summer to attend an academy. Travel and tuition is not covered. This is open to all grades in 9-12th. Please contact Mrs. Hernandez by email or stop by the counseling office by Friday, October 18th.