I Got Excited for Trans Day of Visibility and Now You Have Fun Facts, Jokes, and Cupcakes!

Kai Barr, Writer

March 31st is Trans Day of Visibility.

So, since Google decided not to do a doodle for whatever reason, I’ve decided that I’m going to do this today to simply be excited about part of who I am. Trans Day of Visibility is an annual celebration of trans people. It’s on March 31st, and it’s also for raising awareness of discrimination faced by trans people worldwide. It’s also meant to celebrate their contributions to society.

So, instead of just going for a whole explanation of things, I’m just going to go with a bunch of trans facts!

Now, without further ado, let’s jump into this!

1. Trans Fact #1: Trans women of color are responsible for Pride.

Marsha P. Johnson (August 24, 1945-July 6, 1992) and Sylvia Rivera (July 2, 1951-February 19, 2002) were two trans activists. Both women were present at the Stonewall Riots in June 1969, and were outspoken advocates for gay rights. Without them, we really wouldn’t have Pride the way we do today.

1. Trans Fact #2: Technically you can call estrogen pills by a lot more than just their brand names.

Some examples from r/traaaaaaannnnnnnnnns include Fem & M’s, Anticistamines, Antiboyotics, and Gender Pearls. (Other names from other sources include life savers, trans-mission fluid, and the Notorious H.R.T.)

1. Trans Fact #3: James Barry, the first British Surgeon to perform a successful C-Section, was trans

James Barry was assigned female at birth. Although some may argue that he was a “woman disguised as a man” because he wanted to be a doctor…hate to say it, he’s a trans guy. Saying that trans people “didn’t exist back then” also disregards the countless amounts of people who were trans, as well as disrespects a multitude of people groups, religions, etc. This also leads into my next fact!

1. Trans Fact #4: There was at least one trans person in Egypt.

We know this because researches found a “biologically female” skeleton in a male sarcophagus. Unless if the Egyptians, for whom death was one of the biggest parts of their religion (for further reference look at Anubis), managed to mess up a burial…trans person. Who was buried in the correct coffin.

1. Not a Trans Fact But a Cool Fact #5: The Mourning gecko doesn’t have any males.

They reproduce by parthenogenesis! (Also lesbian geckos you can fight me on this if you want but we love them anyways)

Some Random Jokes (Not All Trans-Related But Just Funny)

1. What did the professor say when the ponderosa walked into the class?

“Everyone please welcome our new trans-fir student.”

1. What did Red Riding Hood say to the wolfman when he ate super fast?

“Jeez, you’re really wolfing those down.”

1. What did the pony say to his friend who coughed?

“Jeez, man, you sound a little hoarse.”

1. What did the dog say to the dancing fox?

“Nice foxtrot.”

1. Why did the ghost’s lie fall through?

Because his friend could see right through him!

And finally, here’s a recipe for cupcakes because I’m in a good mood and also if you have sprinkles or food coloring and frosting you can make trans cupcakes.

What you’re going to need:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon Salt

1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted

2/3 cup sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 large eggs, room temperature

1/2 cup Milk

Frosting

(Alternatively you can probably just pick up a box of cupcake mix at the store)

What you need to do:

• Preheat the oven to 350 F

• They go in the cupcake pan.

• Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together (medium bowl)

• Mix eggs and sugar until light and foamy-looking; add in the melted butter and the vanilla during the beating

• While mixing, add half the flour mix and then the milk, and then the rest of the flour (try not to overmix)

• Divide your amazing creation into the cupcake pan with the liners (not one without because otherwise they’re going to stick and that’ll be sad)

• Bake for 10-12 minutes for mini cupcakes and 18-20 for standard

• Cool the things for 10 minutes

• Frost your creation

• Devour your creation