Mike Trout High School/College Days

Noah Kesner

Trout was born on August 7, 1991, in Vineland, New Jersey to Jeff and Debbie (Busonick) Trout. He grew up in the nearby town of Millville, New Jersey. He has two older brothers and sisters, Teal and Tyler. Jeff (born January 7, 1961) played baseball at the University of Delaware and was drafted in the fifth round as a second baseman by the Minnesota Twins in 1983. Jeff played four years in the minor leagues before his career was cut short due to a torn plantar fascia and knee injuries. Trout was a lifelong Philadelphia Phillies fan who marched in their World Series parade in 2008. trout began his baseball career in the Cal RipkenĀ  Baseball League, a division of the Babe Ruth League. As a young baseball player, his primary position was shortstop. In honor of his childhood hero, New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter, he wore #2. In high school, he switched to #1. Mike attended Lakeside Middle School and graduated from Millville Senior High School in 2009.Trout went to Millville Senior High School in Millville, New Jersey, and played baseball and basketball there, earning five letters (three in baseball and two in basketball). He pitched a no-hitter against Egg Harbor Township High School in his junior year. The Thunderbolts advanced to the state playoffs before falling to Cherry Hill High School East. He began his career as a pitcher and shortstop before being moved to the outfield during his senior year. He hit 18 home runs that year, a New Jersey high school record. Prior to the 2009 MLB Draft, Trout had committed to play baseball at East Carolina University. Millville had intended to retire Trout’s jersey number, but began awarding it to the team captain in 2012.