5 Unique Scholarships

Kelsie Barba

More stories from Kelsie Barba

5 Unique Scholarships

There are thousands of scholarships worldwide. From Coca-Cola to Amish Descendants, there are many different and unusual scholarships you can apply for. If you haven’t heard of scholarships before, they are financial grants (intended for college-use) given to students for having certain qualities and attributes. Any student can apply for scholarships and anyone can create a scholarship. You can basically find a scholarship for just about anything, and while I was researching different scholarships, I came across some pretty uncommon scholarships. Here are 5 unusual and unique scholarships that you can apply for:

1. The 2022 Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation Scholarship: A scholarship created by the famous soda company, Coca-Cola. The deadline to apply is October 31, 2021, and you can earn up to $20,000. The requirements are:

• You must be a graduating high school senior
  • Attending a school in the U.S.
  • Must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher
  • Plan to pursue a degree at a college or university

2. Asparagus Club Scholarship: Created and sponsored by the NGA Foundation, this scholarship is intended for seniors, juniors, and high school graduates planning on majoring in food management or other relevant careers leading into the retail grocery industry. The deadline to apply is April 20, 2022, and you can earn up to $8,000 ($2,000 granted each semester for 2 years). The requirements are:

• Have a GPA of at least 2.5
  • Must retain full-time student status
  • Planning to pursue a degree in food business/management
  • Must be a junior, senior, or high school graduate

3. “Stuck at Prom” Scholarship: Created by the classic Duck Brand Duct Tape company, the goal of this scholarship is to make the best prom outfit completely out of duct tape. The deadline to apply is June 9, 2022, and you can earn up to $10,000. The requirements are:

• Need to be enrolled in high school or a home school association
  • Must be a legal resident of the U.S.
  • Required age of 14 years or older to enter
  • Must make either a dress or tuxedo completely out of duct tape

4. Tall Clubs International (TCI) Student Scholarship: Created by the Tall Clubs International Foundation, this scholarship is meant to benefit tall students entering their first year of college. The deadline for this scholarship is March 1, 2022, and you must find a TCI Club member to sponsor you in order to apply. You can earn up to $1,000 from this scholarship. The requirements are:

• Must meet the height requirements (5’10”+ for women, 6’2”+ for men)
  • Must be entering your first year of college in the fall semester 
  • Students under the age of 21 are eligible
  • Need to be sponsored by a TCI Club member 

5. “No Essay” College Scholarship: Created by Niche, an organization dedicated to helping students enroll into college. This scholarship is special because writing an essay is not required and you can apply every month! All you have to do is enter Niche’s sweepstakes. The deadline to enter is September 30, 2021, and you can win up to $2,000. The requirements are:

• Must be 18 years of age or have a parent/guardian’s consent to enter
  • Be a legal citizen of the U.S.
  • Must be planning to enroll into a college within 12 months or currently attend a high school

There are many scholarships out there, so don’t be afraid to look around. Try looking into scholarships that pertain to majors you are interested in. Don’t limit yourself to just one scholarship, try to apply for as many as you can. Chances are, you won’t be accepted for most scholarships that you have applied for, so it’s smart to apply for as many scholarships as you can. The website Scholarships.com has many different scholarships you can explore and choose from, and it’s free to make an account. Applying for scholarships takes up a lot of time, so make sure to be prepared!