Club Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month

On Wednesday, September 14th, the Righetti High School FFA kicked off Hispanic Heritage Month with a fiesta-themed meeting. Many members attended the second meeting the FFA chapter has planned, where they were welcomed with a performance from Righetti High School’s Ballet Folklorico Club. Ballet Folklorico is a dance style which spotlights cultural dances from Mexico. 

The theme of the chapter was revealed shortly after the performance. The team selected this year’s theme, which is Exceeding Expectations. Chapter President Jada Sanchez states “Exceeding Expecations means taking your thoughts and ideas and using them to cultivate new events and better the existing ones.

Righetti FFA focuses on three main components, which are premier leadership, personal growth, and career success. The program provides so many opportunities for you to grow not only as a person but also as a leader.” Righetti FFA has over 900 members this school year, and Sanchez shows that these students have lots of potential waiting for them in this upcoming school year. The festivities of the meeting included an elote and jalapeno eating contest. Students tried to eat these foods as fast as they could for a prize.

Hispanic Heritage Month is from September 15th to October 15th. This month recognizes contributions and culture of Hispanic Americans. Many Americans celebrate the history and culture of their ancestors of Latin America and other Spanish-Speaking countries. Righetti has a student population that is over 70 percent Hispanic, and this event made lots of members feel included and aware of the diversity at their school and the FFA program.